Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Heat is On!

Under 2 weeks until Grandma's Marathon - I am in official taper-mode as I have completed my last long run this morning with some members of the Charlotte Running Club over at Sherman Branch Park.
It was a hair over 2.5 hours while the distance is a bit uncertain.. probably between 19-20 miles. I was simply praying that I wouldn't roll an ankle or trip on a root as we blazed through the switchback mountain bike trails.

I was also glad we began our run @ 7am, but even earlier would have been welcomed as we still managed to find temps nearing the uncomfortably hot feeling. Which brings up a point about the weather for my marathon coming up.

Originally, I thought that a marathon near Canada in June would be great compared to the summer weather in the south that approaches 90+ degrees.. However, after doing a little research because one of my running partners Tim Budic mentioned that Grandma's was black flagged the previous couple years.. I soon realized that its gonna be a roll of the dice concerning weather. Another running forum even coined it the 26.2 mile Badwater.

Well some things are obviously out of my control and I can only make sure that I am ready to toe the start line no matter the conditions. If the weather cooperates and the winds off Lake Superior provide an air-conditioning effect then great, if not, we'll see... In the end, at least I can take advantage of the Lake for a natural ice-bath after the race and before getting on the plane. Wonder if I will smell funny?

Time to get my rice on!!!

1 Comments:

At June 7, 2010 at 7:55 PM , Blogger johnmaas said...

Grandma's was black-flagged early in the race in 2006 and 2009. I was there for both.
I'm not running it this year - so one could draw the conclusion that in 2010 the weather will be fine.
Trust your training and run it smart.
You will do great!
John

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home