Tuesday, April 6, 2010

20 on a Treadmill... shoot me!


Countdown is 2 weeks and I bit the bullet and did my last 20 miler... on a treadmill. This was done for the simple reason of getting it done. I left my attempt Friday @ 14 miles due to the injury and heat outside.  I knew that it would be easier on my nagging achilles injury HOWEVER, it was much tougher mentally than I had forseen. I don't know how people (my cousin Mark) do it, but nearly 3 hours on a treadmill will have you going insane. Some things I did that seemed to help are the following:
  1. Covered the mileage and time with a Magazine (don't peak, darnit there's a clock on the wall )
  2. After each 60 minute cycle, as the machine cuts off anyways, I switched treadmills and got in front of a different TV
  3. Text some friends, actually texting and running can be dangerous like texting while driving, however this time I was the only one at risk of injury (no other "cars" on the road)
  4. Talk to the person next to you - THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO MAKE TIME FLY!
Hopefully that run will serve as the confidence boost necessary to make a decent showing in a few weeks at Boston while I have thrown out any ideas of a PR. Well, almost thrown out.. haha.
I can almost taste the electricity in the air as the days near to "the race" that will have thousands of people lining the streets for 26.2 miles of pure energy and pandamonium. This is why I do it. This is the reason I get up and run on tired legs and repeat the next day. This is what it's all about.. Boston. A dream come reality in just a few days... WOOHOO!

3 Comments:

At April 6, 2010 at 11:54 AM , Anonymous Kevin Sm..Sm..Sm... said...

3 hours on a treadmill..? That seems like some type of torture. Good Luck in Beantown!!! Its a great city and there's lots of fun things to do...

 
At April 7, 2010 at 9:25 AM , Anonymous Danielle Herring said...

Mike,
I'm not too sure what the exact words are that I'm looking for......maybe WOW, I can't believe your commitment, how can I get Chris doing this or simply, your a true inspiration. I have always had the dream of qualifying for Boston and ultimately running in it. But somehow after 2 kids I'm back to the drawing board. I truly get just as much feeling of accomplishment and fulfillment out of following fellow runners stories of success as I do out of my own. When you are trucking along those 26 miles of roadway in Boston, know that you have cheerleaders all over the country pulling for you stride after stride. And always remember that no matter your outcome we are all so proud of you for going after such a goal like this.
-Dani Herring

 
At April 8, 2010 at 4:23 PM , Blogger Mike Kahn said...

Wow. Thanks for your support.
Kevin, yes it is a form of torture but so rewarding.
Dani, you almost made me cry. Thanks!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home