Sunday, December 6, 2009

Race Report from the Bayou: Baton Rouge Marathon

What a trip! From beginning to end it was... well, a trip! First time down yonder on the Bayou. Admittedly a rookie to Jumbalaya and Gumbo but now I am officially hooked. Add in some fried catfish and wedding cake and I was in heaven.

Plane flight on Friday evening was set to leave at 5:50pm and was delayed due to mechanical issues with the parking brake. Do planes park on hills? Anyway, we finally took off by 8pm and I probably would have left and cancelled the trip entirely had we been departing from Charlotte. But due to the looming 4 hour car ride back from Atlanta, I decided to stick it out.
Sidenote: The reason for the near bailout was due to the unfortunate knee injury a week prior at the Gobble Wobble 5K in Charleston, SC. I was already on the fence about racing the marathon because of my injury and low-mileage taper the week before the race. However, the shot of cortizone on Thursday morning as well as the 4 hour car drive tipped the scales in favor of waiting it out.

So disregarding the plane delay as a "sign" of things to come; I boarded the plane.
As I sat down near the back of the plane in seat 17B, I noticed my phone was ringing. It was my Mom, and she felt the same sort of premonition or ill-feeling about the trip and she told me to grab my bag and get off the plane now.. just as they were closing the door and preparing for take-off. Too late, but thanks for that - Oh my God, I'm gonna die - preflight feeling Mom. ;-)
Landed, Taxi (Taxi driver Jerry), Hotel, Bed @ 9:30pm Central Time.
Weather forecast: Snow flurries overnight, what? Indeed, woke up 5am and a dusting of snow covered the cars in the parking lot. 30F cold.
So I made the trek from my hotel to the Marriot host hotel 0.4 miles away. Along the way, I managed to step in a black ice puddle that soaked my right sock. Man... I am thinking, "are you serious?"
At the host hotel, the overnight front desk guy knew nothing of the marathon or the packet pickup but fortunately other runners were waiting in the hotel lobby. The school bus was out front warming up and waiting to take a group of runners over to the race but it wasn't set to leave for another 45 min. So I ran outside and asked a guy Marcus that I met in the lobby for a ride. He was suggesting that I go ask to borrow a hair dryer from a room for my damp sock.
Turns out his friends name was Marcus too. (My other brother Daryll) They both exclaimed, "we the only two white Marcus's in these parts." I laughed and squeezed in the back part of their extended cab pick-up truck. Good thing I went with them because they were from Northern Loiusianna and didn't know where the race was from the hotel and I was able to pull up directions on my phone.

Stopped at the Gas Station: Banana Nut Muffin & LemonLime Gatorade
These two guys were hilarious as we talked about running and family. Turns out they were running the Half in preparation for the New Orleans Marathon in February. Crazy thing is that they had some accent like this Southern Jumbalayan drawl to their speech.
Race packet. Bathroom. Back in the truck with both Marcus's to stay warm for 15 min. Marcus #1 took some pre-race video and talked to his wife into the camera. :)
Bag check. Bathroom again. Stretch. Race Time.
Mile 1 - 6:36
Mile 2 - 6:40
Crazy dressed cheerleaders some females some males dressed as females giving out H20.
Mile 3 - 6:41
Mile 4 - 6:35
Mile 5 - 6:49
Feeling good. Maintaining the pace not a problem. Wind is whipping a bit.
Mile 6 - 6:48 Gu
Mile 7 - 6:41
Ran behind two huys that were running the half and training for the New Orleans. They were good wind-blockers but their 2:50 pace was a bit fast. I let them go.
Mile 8 - 6:54
I got passed by 3 guys running the marathon. Tried to hitch-hike their pace but it put me out of my comfort zone so I retreated to my planned pace and gameplan.
Mile 9 - 6:44
One guy from the 3 that passed me dropped off and I caught up with him. Chuck said his goal was three hours so me and Chuck settled into a nice groove.
Mile 10 - 6:45
Mile 11 - 6:53
Chuck's wife and kids waved hello.
Mile 12 - 6:49 Gu
Mile 13 - 6:52
Half Marathon 13.1 - 1:28:55
On pace for the sub 3hr goal. Took off my long sleeved shirt and ran with my team singlet. Tossed it @ finish for the half. That's brisk baby!
Mile 14 - 7:00
Whoa! Chuck was slowin down, happens a lot if you begin to think about only being halfway done. Said adios to Chuck.
Mile 15 - 6:42
Mile 16 - 6:43
Waiting for the "wall" but feeling strong and relaxed.
Mile 17 - 6:45 Gu
Following a guy and we both spaced out. We both missed a turn that cost us a tenth of a mile. Damnit!
Mile 18 - 6:41
Mile 19 - 6:34
Mile 20 - 6:45 --> 2hrs 15min
You can't script it any better. Gameplan in tact. Now I have 7:15/mi to the finish for a sub 3hr. But wait, what's this? This course map has no walls.
Mile 21 - 6:51
Lapped a lady walking the Half and she said that I was in 5th as she was counting the marathoners passby.This info turned out to be HUGE. Right around the next turn I spotted 4th place cramping up and 3rd place ahead of him gingerly running along.
Mile 22 - 6:39
Passed both guys and hammered it so they wouldn't try and hitch-hike my pace.
Mile 23 - 6:40
Now I am in 3rd and on cloud 9. Then, on one of the switchbacks I see 2nd place about 0.25 miles ahead and I tell myself that he is struggling.
Mile 24 - 6:33 hammer time
Mile 25 - 6:32
I got him in my sights but I don't want him to see me. Some lady says, "he's only 120yds ahead.. you got him!" I responded to her, "I'm gonna get that guy." Fast Forward 2 minutes..
We are side-by-side and he begins to talk. I told him I got nothing to say. I threw the hammer down and he responded twice.
Mile 26 - 6:22 (fastest mile of the race)
Finally I shook him off my tail and sprinted the last bit to the finish.
Mile 0.3 - 1:58
Total Gun Time: 2:56:33
Total Chip Time: 2:56:30
Negative splits @ 1:28:55 / 1:27:38
That guy finished 3 seconds behind me for 3rd place. YES! That made my day right there. He can eat my dust. I am sure he is a nice guy but he can reflect on that all afternoon!
Emotional finish.. called Mom & Lorena. Two awesome women! Thanks for the hotel Dad!
Then a couple got married @ the finish after the groom finished the marathon in 3:22 and we all ate wedding cake. Then I called Jerry the taxi driver to scoop me up.
What a day! Race Results

2 Comments:

At December 6, 2009 at 1:50 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

Wow Mike! Congrats on an exciting race! Now you just take care of that knee, ok?
Jenn (Ben's sis)

 
At December 7, 2009 at 5:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats, man. Your training was solid and you executed on race day. Well done!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home